Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) tests
Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) determines the ability of electrical and electronic equipment to work properly in a specified electromagnetic environment by achieving an appropriate immunity level, and reducing emission of disturbances non-tolerated by other operating equipment. Electromagnetic disturbance is an electromagnetic phenomenon, which can interfere with the device operating. The sources of disturbance are the objects that emit electromagnetic waves either unintentionally (household equipment, electronic devices) or intentionally (TV and radio stations, mobile phones). Compatible devices are immune to surges and changes in the power network, electrostatic discharge, radio waves and other electromagnetic phenomena.
EMC tests are necessary in order to legitimate product CE marking and sale electronic and electrical equipment in Poland and other EU countries.
Zamel lab offers testing devices for compliance with EN/IEC 61000 standard on designer's level within the range of:
- immunity to series of fast pulses (BURST);
- immunity to high energy shocks (SURGE);
- immunity to transient voltages (collapses, short break, swing);
- immunity to electrostatic discharge (ESD).
In our laboratory, besides standardised tests, we can carry out user's tests. During the test carrying it is possible to change easily test parameters in order to verify tested equipment operation and recognise errors at the equipment constructing stage. Test devices are calibrated by an accredited EMTEST research laboratory, and guarantees full standard compliance. Tests are carried out under the supervision of qualified engineers at the fully standardized test stand.
It is possible to record the test course (via a camera to PC HDD). Tests carried out in our laboratory are a solid base for final tests performed in an accredited laboratory. Our laboratory, besides the high-class measurement equipment, has back-up facilities for quick modifications of the construction during the tests the soldering stand, the component store (capacitors, coils, inductors, resistors) and necessary electrical wiring. We are also equipped with a basic measuring tools in the form of multimeters. Within the scope of service we make our high-class measuring equipment available to the customer. We offer help to our customers in operating the test devices (it applies particularly to the user's tests) and configuring the tests. However, a person entering the test should prepare the test program and determine applied standards and test levels for the given test.
The scope of tests
A)Test of immunity to series of fast transient pulse disturbance ( BURST ) according to EN/IEC 61000-4-4
It is possible to change any parameters of the standardised tests within the scope of the given standard (peak frequency 5 kHz/100 kHz, feedback mode ALL/COM, test duration).
IEC 61000-4-4 level_1 500V
IEC 61000-4-4 level_2 1000V
IEC 61000-4-4 level_3 2000V
IEC 61000-4-4 level_4 4000V
EN 61000-6-1 general 1000V
EN 61000-6-2 general 2000V
B) Test of immunity to high-energy impact (SURGE) according to IEC 61000-4-5
Standardised tests: It is possible to change repetition rate and the number of pulses for the given test level. The customer may choose maximum allowable surge current for the device under test.
C)Test of immunity to voltage spikes according to IEC 61000-4-11, within the scope of collapses, short breaks and voltage swing
Only manual mode is allowable during the tests. In this case it is possible to choose one of five levels of collapse, determine collapse time and determine collapse angle (0, 180, asynchronously).
Additionally we have a capacitive coupling clamp (CCC) for connecting to UCS500N5 in order to test immunity of interface lines of equipment tested (measurement lines, trigger circuits) to fast burst pulses. We also have equipment that allows the user to test the impact of electromagnetic fields with very wide frequency spectrum on the device under test. We set the test range and programme individually with the Customer.
Test of immunity to electrostatic discharge (ESD)
DITO testing device is lightweight and portable. Its intuitive menu and ergonomic construction facilitate test carrying. On the test stand with DITO electrostatic discharge simulator we offer designer's tests according to EN / IEC 61000-4-2 standard, associated with device immunity to ESD.
IEC 61000-4-5 level_2 1000V
IEC 61000-4-5 level_3 2000V
IEC 61000-4-5 level_4 4000V
EN 61000-6-1 general 1000V
EN 61000-6-2 general 2000V
The stand enables the user to run the following tests:
- air discharge and contact discharge carrying out,
- single, continuous and automatic discharge carrying out,
- test monitoring (the number of discharges to complete the test),
- repetition frequency selection (0.5 ... 20 s at intervals of 0.5 s),
- selection of various test voltages (500 V... 16.5 kV),
- pulse polarity change.
The following test modes are available:
- EASY standard test levels, constant during the test;
- QUICK during the test it is possible to change test voltage (polarity, and value with a fixed step);
- REP a large number of discharge repetitions is generated in order to identify least immune/exposed test points;
- PROG-TEST 8 test programs to be programmed by the user, step by step levels 1..4 according to IEC / EN 61000-4-2 and generic EN 50082-1 / -2.
Cooperation with scientific research centres
- Conducted emission 150 kHz 30 MHz according to IEC/CISPR 16-1-2,3,4 and IEC/CISPR 16-2-1, 7.4.1 in respect of:
- electromagnetic disturbances at low voltage AC connectors,
- electromagnetic disturbances at low voltage DC connectors,
- electromagnetic disturbances at telecom ports,
- current disturbances at telecom ports.
- Discrete disturbances (click disturbancer) 150 kHz 30 MHz according to IEC/CISPR 14-1.
- Radiated disturbance 30 MHz 1 GHz, according to IEC/CISPR 16-2-3.
- Harmonic current emissions in public supply networks.
The laboratory offers assistance with preparation of technical construction files (TCF) and improvement of equipment in order to achieve electromagnetic compatibility, and consulting, and individual training.